Jet Reports is a reporting and analytics tool that allows users to create and automate reports in Excel, using data from various sources, including Dynamics NAV. In this blog post, we will explore the steps involved in integrating Jet Reports with Dynamics NAV 2009 through ODBC drivers.
Step 1: Install Jet Reports The first step in integrating Jet Reports with Dynamics NAV 2009 is to install the Jet Reports software. You can download the software from the Jet Reports website and follow the installation wizard to complete the installation process.
Step 2: Set Up an ODBC Connection Once Jet Reports is installed, you need to set up an ODBC connection to the Dynamics NAV database. This involves creating a Data Source Name (DSN) in the ODBC Data Source Administrator on the computer where Jet Reports is installed.
To set up the ODBC connection, follow these steps:
- Open the ODBC Data Source Administrator.
- Go to the System DSN tab and click on the Add button.
- Select the Microsoft Dynamics NAV ODBC Driver and click on Finish.
- Enter a name for the DSN and select the database server and database name.
- Enter the authentication details for the database and click on Test Connection to verify the connection.
Step 3: Create a Jet Reports Data Source After setting up the ODBC connection, you need to create a Jet Reports data source to connect to the Dynamics NAV database. This involves specifying the ODBC connection details and selecting the tables and fields to be included in the data source.
To create a Jet Reports data source, follow these steps:
- Open Jet Reports and go to the Data Source Designer.
- Click on the New button to create a new data source.
- Select the ODBC option and enter the DSN name and authentication details.
- Select the tables and fields to be included in the data source and specify any filters or sorting criteria.
- Save the data source and test the connection to verify that the data is retrieved correctly.
Step 4: Create a Jet Reports Report Once the data source is set up, you can create a Jet Reports report using the data from the Dynamics NAV database. This involves selecting the data source and designing the report layout using Excel.
To create a Jet Reports report, follow these steps:
- Open Jet Reports and go to the Report Designer.
- Select the data source created in the previous step.
- Drag and drop the fields from the data source into the Excel sheet to create the report layout.
- Add any formatting, calculations, or other elements to the report as needed.
- Save the report and schedule it to run automatically or run it manually when needed.
Conclusion In conclusion, integrating Jet Reports with Dynamics NAV 2009 through ODBC drivers involves setting up an ODBC connection, creating a Jet Reports data source, and designing a report using Excel. By following these steps, users can retrieve data from the Dynamics NAV database and create customized reports for analysis and decision-making. Jet Reports is a powerful tool that can help businesses streamline their reporting processes and improve their operational efficiency.